Labor Day Safety Tips
Many people view Labor Day as the end of summer and their last chance to travel, hit the beach and fire up the grill. SERVPRO of Burbank, Crescenta Valley/East Glendale, Chatsworth/Stevenson Ranch, offers safety tips to help everyone have a safe and enjoyable holiday.
People should follow these safety tips:
Tips for Safe Travel
- Carry an emergency supply kit in your trunk.
- Let someone know your destination, your route, and when you expect to arrive.
- Buckle up and observe speed limits.
- Don’t drink and drive.
Tips for Safe Swimming
- Check weather and water conditions beforehand and throughout the day.
- Always swim with a buddy in a designated swimming area supervised by a lifeguard.
- Provide constant supervision to children in or near the water and always stay within arm’s reach of young children and inexperienced swimmers while they are in the water.
- Young children and inexperienced swimmers should wear U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jackets.
Tips for Safe Grilling
- Keep the grill away from the house, tree branches, or anything that could catch fire.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Keep children and pets away from the grill.
- Never add charcoal starter fluid when coals have already been ignited.
For more information on emergency preparedness, go to redcross.org. Additional water safety tips are located at redcross.org/watersafety.